Re: ASTM A36

> From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com

> Here in the=20 U.S. (and I would expect elsewhere) the steel mills provide
> a "mill certificate" verifying the chemical and mechanical properties.

> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>

> > (I assume al other elements are according to the Standard)
> Never assume this without proof. Once again--never assume materials
> with the same chemistry are the same in all other respects, and never
> accept someone's estimate of the chemistry without material
> certification. I'm speaking from hard and bitter experience.

I have to agree with Christpher 100%, and from my own experience with
spec materials that didn't have the right mechanical properties and/or
materials that didn't meet chemistry despite the accompanying mill
certification.

A mill certificate is only useful if you can prove the delivery is from
the same heat as the analysis. The mechanical test is only about $50.
Welding a couple sample plates is slightly more. For large deliveries of
materials, you would be crazy not to have some form of independent
random testing as part of your QC program.

These are the basis for stories told with a round of beers.

Regards
Paul

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.