From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: SIP top plate detail

Howard,

Is you company working on more "SIP" friendly higher capacity (i.e. anchor
bolt style) hold-downs?  Your PHD and TDX style hold-down (as well as
similar hold-downs from other manufacturers) can work, but are a challenge
to work with when doing SIPs.  They kind of create a nice non-insulation
"void" in the SIP and they can then also act as a thermal break (i.e. a
big hunk of metal in within the panel).  The biggest issue is that they
are a challenge to use/install as one does not have easy access to the
hold-down like one would have with a stick-framed wall.

The reason that I ask is that we are looking for a better solution since
we are starting to get more and more projects in areas with high seismic
(i.e. California) and high wind (East Coast hurricane zone).  These areas
usually end up with some SIP shearwalls with rather significant
overturning forces that exceed strap style hold-downs (i.e. your STAD
hold-down) capacities.

Thanks,

Scott
Adrian, MI