Re: ASTM A36

> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>

> means that you have some recourse if you get the wrong material. You
> may also find that your suppliers start taking your requests seriously
> if you demand documentation because they realize they're on the hook if
> they ship you ferro-manurium instead of the material you ordered.

I am aware of big-name fabricators and steel suppliers where the QC
programme is limited to reliance on their supplier to supply what was
ordered (IF it was spec'd correctly). That is fine (maybe) from a
commercial context, but little comfort for those with losses when the
dust settles after a failure.

You can bet that smaller operations are not much different.

Designers: At the very least, include a requirement for random
mechanical testing in your specs. It is not adequate to rely on the
"mill certs."

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International