RE: 1950's era timber properties

My understanding is that the way timber is graded has not changed drastically over the years.  In another words, even though there is not a lot of “dense” material available anymore the criteria to be graded “dense” isn’t that much different than it was.  The materials have now been tested using full size members instead of small clear specimens and were found that the higher values used in older codes needed to be revised.  I heard this at the wood solutions seminar put on in Phoenix some time back.  I believe the speaker was Robert Taylor of the American Wood Council, but it has been a year or more.   Hopefully there is someone out there with the AWC that can clear this up.

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying