Re: 1950's era timber properties

Title: Re: 1950's era timber properties

There is ongoing research by the Forest Service to evaluate structural properties of what are called "plantation-grown" trees. If you go to the Forest Products Lab website, and search with the word "plantation" or "small diameter" you will get a host of technical papers to review.

The lumber grading agencies continue to evaluate this issue and make adjustments to grading procedures and design properties as necessary. You may recall that in the late 1980's a comprehensive testing program was conducted to evaluate lumber design properties. It was called in-grade testing. Here's a link to more information about that topic: http://www.awc.org/HelpOutreach/faq/FAQfiles/In-Grade_Testing.html

I cannot be more specific in answer to the question below, because there's just no way to make a blanket statement about "new growth" versus "old growth." As was stated earlier, it also depends on the standard used to evaluate the property.

Rest assured, that the lumber agencies are well-represented on our technical committees and we are updating our standards as necessary to account for any changes to the resource (although according to Bill P., we shouldn't be changing them too often...sorry Bill, but I couldn't resist that little dig there).

;^{o

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.

----- Original Message -----=20