RE: OSHA 4-bolt column anchorage

Title: Message

If I understand correctly, this is a federal OSAH rule.

From: Dave Adams [mailto:davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com]
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 11:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: OSHA 4-bolt column anchorage

Hello all,

California OSHA has a general requirement that all steel columns be anchored with a minimum of 4 anchor bolts ... I'm not sure if it is the same for other states.  Does anyone know if there are exceptions to this general rule?  It seems like an extreme requirement in some situations, since a column's stability is secured once the framing elements above are installed -- what happened to temporary shoring measures?

Thanks,

Dave K. Adams, S.E.

Lane Engineers, Inc.

Tulare, CA

E-mail:  davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com