RE: OSHA 4-bolt column anchorage

Jim,

A related question regarding precast columns.  Assuming they are properly attached to the foundation per the precasters connection detail (4 anchor rods), should these columns be braced off at the top prior to the erection of the rest of the precast framing or is it left up to the erector to make this decision?  Seems like the flagpole condition (even if it is temporary) might be a little unstable even with the base anchorage.

Mark

From: Jim Getaz [mailto:jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 7:31 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: OSHA 4-bolt column anchorage

            Greetings,

                        A steel erector told me a last summer that not only do steel columns need four anchor rods, but OSHA Subpart M requires a column that is not guyed nor braced by beams tying into it must be taken down overnight. I was surprised, but as I have little to do with steel erection, I did not look it up.

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer

            Winchester, Virginia