RE: Seismic mass

The OSHA standard is flawed in several ways.

First by requiring 4 anchor bolts they create problems
in some situations where there is not room for 4 bolts
in the completed structure.  A more reasonable
provision would make provision for engineering special
erection procedures.  When I have had this problem I
have indicated that the contractor could provide an
erection aid so the column could be erected with 4
bolts.  Later the extra bolts could be removed.

More critically the OSHA standard provides a false
sense of security..  I am aware of situations that
comply perfectly with the standard yet would be unsafe
with out special precautions.  The erectors have to
step up to the plate and look closely at the
individual circumstances before erecting steel.
Please note that wind loads and loads resulting from
the erection process can be many times greater than
the OSHA mandated loads.