Re: ASTM A36

> From: "Polhemus, Bill" <BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com>

Testing is in the owner's court. They can do the testing or not. When I
write my final letter, I advise that the test reports have not been
received.

With A992 shapes, there probably* isn't any issue. However, fabricated
components (e.g. joists) are frequently made with higher yield material
than we consulting designers typically spec (can't get it, nobody specs
that stuff (in 27 years), costs too much). Now if you also know that the
fabricator does NOT have a QC programme to confirm this higher grade,
and only relies on the say-so of his supplier (for 27 years), how does
that make you feel? (Now we'll get a response from an SJI rep ...).

It's not only about cost. I'm licensed to ensure safety (at reasonable
cost) but some of the evolving business practices, in the name of
efficiency and cost reduction, aren't good enough. Why wait for the
codes to enforce it.

*Not long ago we were refering to "dual spec" material. I believe that
you can still obtain A36-only, mill sections. Until A992 is the base
quality mill section available on the global market, there will remain a
level of doubt. A500 Tube vs HSS comes to mind as an area of concern.

Regards
Paul

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.