RE: House Inspection

Gail,

I offer Due Dilligence reports for houses or buildings that are undergoing potential sales. Due diligence can lead to PML reports and they are good projects to get, some engineers specialize in this type of work.

I have never been retained to do one on a house, but have been asked several times to visit a house and write a quick letter saying it’s fine. When I tell them the price for me making a visit and looking at the place I never get a call back which is fine. Once I tell them $500 minimum for even a 1 paragraph letter saying it’s okay to tear down a non-bearing wall, I get a “I’ll think about it” and don’t get a call back (well, once I did). I charge that much for the travel, time, and liability, even though it could be something very simple. Perhaps they went with someone cheaper, I don’t know.

These people doing real estate stuff pay a termite inspector 150 bucks and can get a full “Home Inspection Report” for 300 bucks that’s 20 pages long and has color photos in the back and tells them the faucet in bathroom 3 drips. They won’t pay an engineer 3 to 4 times that for a 2 page letter listing all the cracks and whether it’s a serious problem or not, it’s just not in their budget and perhaps would be obligated to disclose the findings if something potentially serious is opined by the engineer, lowering the sales price.

With the proper disclaimers (i.e., complete engineering calculations were not performed, only what was easily visible was evaluated, in my professional opinion etc…) it probably fine.

Not sure if this helps, probably not.

Good luck,

-gm