Re: House Inspection

Gail,

About ten years ago, Bruce Williams (nationally-broadcast radio talk show host) said something like this:  If you're going to buy a house and you're not a structural engineer, hire one to inspect it and give you a report of it's condition.  That should cost around $200.  Then if anything goes wrong sue him.

Then about five years ago, a guy called in and said he had followed that advice, hired a structural engineer, got an 18 page report which said everything was fine  except that the chimney should be cleaned.  The guy bought the house, waited a few years to clean the chimney, but the chimney sweep wouldn't clean it, said it's condition was too bad.  It cost the guy $5000 to repair.  Bruce Williams advised the guy to sue the structural engineer.  Furthermore, who recommended that particular structural engineer to you . . . the realtor . . . then sue him too.

I'm not in the insurance business, so I don't do home inspections.

John Riley

gskwy(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
My survey questions have never gone over real well, but I'll try another anyway.

How many people licensed as either PE's or SE's do house inspection?  I.e. for residential sales.

Do you actually represent yourself to the potential buyer as a house inspector or are you a consultant on one specific aspect to the house inspector?  If so, what aspect?

For those who do it,  is it common for engineers in your area to do house inspection (in DC house inspectors tend to be individuals who failed as contractors).

Is there a concern that being licensed as an engineer will make you more susceptible to litigation if problems subsequently surface?

Gail Kelley