RE: House Inspection

Gail,

I sometimes do home inspections for friends and family members.  I limit my report to what I see.  I also note on the report that a more detailed investigation is required to do a proper analysis of any cracks or displacements that I may have noticed.  Also the $500 per visit works best to scare homeowners away.  I use that for a lot of the calls that I get that require home inspections.

Hope this helps.

From: gskwy(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:gskwy(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: House Inspection

My survey questions have never gone over real well, but I'll try another anyway.

How many people licensed as either PE's or SE's do house inspection?  I.e. for residential sales.

Do you actually represent yourself to the potential buyer as a house inspector or are you a consultant on one specific aspect to the house inspector?  If so, what aspect?

For those who do it,  is it common for engineers in your area to do house inspection (in DC house inspectors tend to be individuals who failed as contractors).

Is there a concern that being licensed as an engineer will make you more susceptible to litigation if problems subsequently surface?

Gail Kelley