Re: House Inspection

Gail-
I think you've summarized it well for California. You'll have to talk to your buddy, Bill Polhemus, about Texas.    :<)
Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley  CA

In a message dated 2/9/2006 11:56:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
My questions on house inspection came about from a litigation in California.  It's not something I was involved in,  I was just reading the opinion.

The judge stated something to the effect that house inspections were done by a structrual engineer and a termite eradicator and therefore ... blah, blah, blah.

It's been my experience that a buyer or seller might call a structural engineer to look at something, but that the actual "house inspection"  is done by someone who spends a lot of time looking at the appliances.

I think in Texas there may be more of a tendancy for PEs to do house inspection,  mostly because a lot of the house inspection may consist of looking at things related to the foundation.

But even in Texas,  there seems to be a standard check list where things like the whole-house vacuum  are considered as important as the roof or the foundation.

Gail Kelley

Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley CA