Chapter 21 Concrete design

Title: Message
In our Canadian concrete code A23.3, Chapter 21 covers special provisions for seismic design.  I think the ACI code does a similar thing in its Chapter 21 also.

I don't know of any other engineers in my area (but there may be some) who apply these provisions to the extent of using R=4.  I am using that for the second time on a design at the moment.  In the first design , I found that there was a lot of steel (rebar) in the shear wall ends, and especially in the diagonal reinforcing in the beams above the door openings.  This time I am using smaller diameter bars in the concentrated reinforcement, so they are more numerous, and also smaller bars for the ties of the diagonals.

Have others used these provisions ?    What are your impressions ?  Is it worth it ?  Is the final design more economical ?

Kevin Below