gerber system

Kevin,
I try to avoid the Gerber system where possible, partly
because it does take a lot of work. Secondly when I
worked in the family steel business, I designed a Gerber
system for a single storey warehouse only to have our
erection foreman give me royal s**t because it took too
long to erect. You can imagine it: erect two columns and
place beam on them, brace them, erect two more columns
and beam and brace and then place drop in beam.  He said
the extra cost of erection offset any savings in steel
weight.  I have yet to meet anybody who can prove him
wrong.  Anyway SAFI in your neck of the woods sells a
steel design package that allows you to design a Gerber
system; $750 CAN last I heard.