wood horizontal shear stress

Can anyone explain why the allowable wood shear stresses are so much greater now than they used to be?

Example:

1976 UBC DF#1 Fv=95psi

2005 NDS DF#1 Fv=180 psi

I’m evaluating a wood framed building designed under the 1976 UBC, several members (on paper) exceed allowable shear stress of 95 psi. I am wondering if it would be legitimate to evaluate these members with 180 psi.

I have looked on NDS and AWC web sites for an answer to my question but have not found anything.

Thanks,

Mark D. Baker