From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 8:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: open ended pipe piles - bearing plate in concrete pile cap?

Scott,
Steel cap plates have not been recommended for H piles since the Lehigh
H-Pile pile cap studies in the 1960's.  People still use them, but they are
not necessary.  Pipe piles are different in only one respect, you might want
to place a cap on them to keep from having to fill the pipe when you start
placing concrete for the pile cap.

Regards,
Harold Sprague