Re: Risa3D vs. ETABS?

Looks like I have to wait till the bugs are fixed so not to rely on tech support,
but after all said and done, does it do any WOOD design?
Thanks,
Joseph
On Feb 10, 2006, at 2:30 AM, Anantha Narayan C.K. wrote:

Kevin,

CSI technical support is amongst the worst there is.
Inspite of the "exhorbitant" amounts of money you
spend on tech support, hardly have I ever gotten to
speak with a rep the first time. They always have to
call back (and this means usually 2-3 days later if I
am lucky).

As with the meshing, I have always found it easier to
draw meshing lines using null lines to make sure my
connectivity is correct. Sometimes when a column in
not at grid intersections, it can give funny results
for that beam/slab - column moment because of it not
being meshed. Meshing is wonderful if the columns are
all on grid intersections (like in the examples), but
its the real world. I always draw meshing lines and
connect slab edges, columns etc. and turn off my grid
lines during meshing. This has helped so far.

I have never tried RISA 3d, so I cannot offer an
opinion.

Thanks
Anantha
--- Kevin Below <kevinbelow(--nospam--at)videotron.ca> wrote:

Joseph, I tried out Etabs in December, just before
v. 9 came out.  On a
3-story concrete + 1 story steel building.

The interface is fantastic.  Very easy to set up a
building.  You can
even name your grid lines (A, B, C, etc,) and the
cursor indicates the
grid and story level as you move over the building,
so it's easy to see
where you are.  Fantastic.
Easy to set up the slabs, drop panels, beams, with
just a few clicks.
Fantastic.  And I'm thinking, I'll buy this when the
trial period
expires.

But after 3 weeks, I had to go back to VisualDesign,
because I couldn't
get certain columns and drop panels to attach to the
slab.  Probably the
automatic meshing wasn't meshing on those particular
column positions as
it should have.  I was getting negative support
reactions (uplift) under
dead and live (vertical) loads.  Not so fantastic.
Support wasn't very
supportive, until they realised I was a trial
customer.  Then I got a
response that they would get back to me.  Waited a
week for the answer
that there columns that were not connected to the
slab.  Not impressed
with the support.

I would connect the columns with smaller slab panels
to be sure they
will connect if I were to continue using it.  With
drop panels, they
suggested that I draw grid lines through the corners
of each drop, since
the meshing connects to grid intersections also.
But then the ease
starts to break down a little.  It was supposed to
be automatic.

But I loved the colours ;-)  Transparent slabs allow
you to see what's
going on underneath.  I loved the interface.  I will
try it again in a
year or so when a few more bugs are ironed out.
Maybe the v 9 is
better.

Also, they connect with Revit Structure in v. 9.
The way of the future.

Kevin Below