Re: Steel design - Gerber system

> From: Kevin Below <kevinbelow(--nospam--at)videotron.ca>

> Using the Gerber system (suspended spans between cantilevered beams) in
> a steel roof system makes for an economical design.

> But it sure is time-consuming to design, unless you just guess at
> economical cantilever lengths.  So I wrote a spreadsheet to design all

> I can't see a way to do this with Excel, without getting into stiffness
> matrices, which I haven't used since uni many years ago.

> Any ideas ?  I would be willing to contribute my spreadsheet if anyone
> is interested in developing the tool with me.

SODA.

SODA also has the ability to import/export CSV files from excel if you
want to do some significant or automated manipulation. However, if you
only want to shift nodes a bit, you can do it manually fairly easily or
use the CSV file without difficulty (export-out, adjust, import-in,
optimize - it really is that easy).

Consider setting up several frames lines, with different variations, in
the same analysis model.

SODA optimizes the total structure weight, very efficiently, not the
individual members as most software does.

Regards
Paul

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.