From: Daryl Richardson
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Thu Feb 09 21:08:14 2006
Subject: Re: Footing Retrofit/Replacement Ideas

Sir,

        I have two possible ideas for brainstorming consideration only.  I
would only use these with the advice of a geotechnical engineer.

        First: if the soil upon which the footing is permeable an
application of pressure grouting may consolidate the soil sufficiently to
increase the allowable bearing capacity and make any other repair
unnecessary.

        Second: I once provided a second opinion for a scheme to remove
contaminated soil from underneath a number of row houses.  Under this scheme
small diameter "mini piles" about 2.5" to 3" in diameter were jacked into
the ground at about 4' centers around the houses and bolted to the
foundation walls allowing petroleum contaminated soil to be removed from
under the houses (including basement slabs on grade) and replaced with clean
material.  This was a large budget project; you'd need all of your fingers
(plus some toes too) to count the cost in millions of dollars.  This project
was completed successfully.

        In your case four such piles, either placed through holes cored in
the footing near the column or installed at the edges of the footing might
give you a combined pile/spread footing foundation suitable to carry the
load.

        Just a couple of thoughts that may or may not be helpful.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson