RE: canopy footing

I have seen lots of canopy designers use pole sign formulas when I was a plan reviewer.  Formula 16-2 is the constrained formula.  If they are using that one they need to have an adequate portland cement concrete slab around the foundation to resist the thrust.  Up here they frequently put a small PCC slab around the pumps to resist spilled gas but have asphalt pavement close by.  If you do have an adequate slab I would tell them they need to use formula 16-1.

 You are not allowed to use plain concrete to resist seismic forces for other than houses/duplexes.  Are they reinforcing the "cube"?

From: S. Gordin [mailto:mailbox(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 9:47 AM
To: Seaint@Seaint. Org
Subject: canopy footing

Good morning,

I am reviewing a "standard" design of a canopy - a steel-framed structure with two cantilevering columns 14' tall supporting a light "low-pitched V" roof measuring 16'x24' with 12' cantilever.

The engineer used UBC formula 6-2 (Section 1806.8) to justify the adequacy of the footings for the columns - 5'x5'x5' "cubes."  According to the UBC Commentary p. 297, the formulas of UBC 1806.8 are historically applicable to "pole-" or "column-" type footings.

To me, these "cube" footings do not even look right for the subject application.  Any comments on the situation will be highly appreciated.

TIA,

Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA