Re: canopy footing

steve,
since earlier response conferred with the pole formula, have you looked at a paper published in the ASCE Civil Engineering Journal
"Signboard footings to resist wind loads" By: Don L.Ivey and Leon Hawkins, ASCE Civil engg. Dec 1966, pp34-35
If you have seismic condition you may modify the soil parameters such as liquification, etc.
according to the authors of the paper the Footing size should involve a trial and error method

Himat
>>> mailbox(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com 02/13/06 1:46 PM >>>
Good morning,

I am reviewing a "standard" design of a canopy - a steel-framed structure with two cantilevering columns 14' tall supporting a light "low-pitched V" roof measuring 16'x24' with 12' cantilever.

The engineer used UBC formula 6-2 (Section 1806.8) to justify the adequacy of the footings for the columns - 5'x5'x5' "cubes."  According to the UBC Commentary p. 297, the formulas of UBC 1806.8 are historically applicable to "pole-" or "column-" type footings.

To me, these "cube" footings do not even look right for the subject application.  Any comments on the situation will be highly appreciated.

TIA,

Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA