Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 11:17 AM
Subject: RE: canopy footing

I have seen lots of canopy designers use pole sign formulas when I was a plan reviewer.  Formula 16-2 is the constrained formula.  If they are using that one they need to have an adequate portland cement concrete slab around the foundation to resist the thrust.  Up here they frequently put a small PCC slab around the pumps to resist spilled gas but have asphalt pavement close by.  If you do have an adequate slab I would tell them they need to use formula 16-1.

 You are not allowed to use plain concrete to resist seismic forces for other than houses/duplexes.  Are they reinforcing the "cube"?