What is being allowed in California -Powder actuated fasteners for suspended ceiling splay bracing?

Anyone:

I heard that the IBC and ASCE 7 say powder actuated fasteners cannot be used for seismic tension in seismic design category D unless the fasteners are approved for such use.  Acoustical ceiling splay bracing wires need to be connected to the composite floor deck.  An Alaskan building department told one of my friends their are no current ICC evaluation reports to use powder actuated fasteners to resist seismic tension forces but you could still use them for the gravity wires.

I heard this is an issue for hospitals and schools in California because of some state laws.  Are "lower 48" building departments allowing powder actuated fasteners to connect suspended ceiling splay bracing to composite floor deck?  If not powder actuated fasteners what is being used.

I am reviewing some suspended ceiling shop drawings where this could be an issue.

Thanks.
Scott.