RE: retaining walls

It is volume 1 of the 97 UBC 106.2  number 5.  It is in most administrative codes in the "building permits required" section.

From: Mark Pemberton [mailto:markpemberton(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 2:53 PM
To: SEAOC
Subject: retaining walls

I was asked by a client which CBC code section specifically requires a building permit for a retaining wall.  I'm sure this is in volume 1 tying into section 1611.6, but I wasn't sure exactly where.  This person also wanted to know if the 4 foot rule (walls over 4 foot from base of footing require engineering) was located in the CBC.  Isn't this a common city code rule, not a CBC requirement?  I didn't have time to research this and just coming off vacation my brain is a bit numb. ;-)

Mark Pemberton, S.E.

Pemberton Engineering
502 Mace Blvd., Suite 2B
Davis, CA 95616