Re: retaining walls

On 13 Feb 2006 at 15:52, Mark Pemberton wrote:

> I was asked by a client which CBC code section specifically requires a
> building permit for a retaining wall. I'm sure this is in volume 1
> tying into section 1611.6, but I wasn't sure exactly where.This
> personalso wanted to know if the 4 foot rule (walls over 4 foot from
> base of footing require engineering) was located in the CBC. Isn't
> this a common city code rule, not a CBC requirement? I didn't have
> time to researchthis and just coming off vacation my brain is a
> bitnumb.;-)
>

> Mark Pemberton, S.E.
>
> Pemberton Engineering
> 502 Mace Blvd., Suite 2B
> Davis, CA 95616
>
> Ph:(530) 792-0511
> Fax: (530) 792-7109

Mark,

I don't know if this has been adopted into the CBC, but in the '97 UBC
the section that you're looking for is Section 106.2 number 5.  This
section lists those items that do not require a permit.

If the wall is over 4' then he will need a permit, according to the UBC.
I don't have a copy of the CBC, so you'll have to check that one.

Take care,
Lloyd Pack