From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 3:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: retaining walls

Try the appropriate section in the appropriate ASCE 7.  I believe the 1997
UBC does point to ASCE 7-95 as for wind design or at least as a supplement
and/or alternative to what is directly in the UBC (which is EXTREMELY
limited).  And section 6.1.2 (in ASCE 7-93 at least...assume that it is
similar in ASCE 7-95 but I don't have that one) states: "The overturning
moment due to wind load shall not exceed two-thirds of the dead load
stabilizing moment unless the building or structure is anchored so as to
resist the excess moment."  I do know that in ASCE 7-98 they "moved" the
effects of this provision into a load combination (i.e. the 0.6*D+W
combination) and eliminated this provision from being directly in the wind
load section.  I just don't know if that changed occurred for the
1995 edition or the 1998 edition.  The end result is the same...ASCE 7 has
had a provision since at least 1993 (earliest that I have in my
possession) that basically required a 1.5 FoS for wind load overturning.

Not to mention it is just good practice.  :-)

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, S. Gordin wrote:

> Scott,
>
> While you are in this code-interpretation mood: where (if at all) does the
code (UBC, ASD) require to have a safety factor of 1.5 against wind
overturning?   I use that all the time, but now I cannot find it...

> Steve Gordin SE
> Irvine CA

administrative codes in the "building permits required" section.

-