Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: retaining walls

Try the appropriate section in the appropriate ASCE 7.  I believe the 1997
UBC does point to ASCE 7-95 as for wind design or at least as a
supplement and/or alternative to what is directly in the UBC (which is
EXTREMELY limited).  And section 6.1.2 (in ASCE 7-93 at least...assume
that it is similar in ASCE 7-95 but I don't have that one) states: "The
overturning moment due to wind load shall not exceed two-thirds of the
dead load stabilizing moment unless the building or structure is anchored
so as to resist the excess moment."  I do know that in ASCE 7-98 they
"moved" the effects of this provision into a load combination (i.e. the
0.6*D+W combination) and eliminated this provision from being directly in
the wind load section.  I just don't know if that changed occurred for the
1995 edition or the 1998 edition.  The end result is the same...ASCE 7 has
had a provision since at least 1993 (earliest that I have in my
possession) that basically required a 1.5 FoS for wind load overturning.

Not to mention it is just good practice.  :-)

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp