FW: 1976 UBC GLULAM

Title: Message
Sharon,

I faxed you pertinent pages from the 1977 NDS®, but to address your questions:

1) Yes, the size factor, C_F, was applicable to glulam. It was (12/d)^(1/9)

2) The slenderness factor C_s was part of the buckling equation for beams and not directly multiplied by F_b to obtain F_b'. It was used to determine if the beam was short, intermediate, or long.  It was then used in either the intermediate or long beam equation. However, F_b used in the intermediate equation was not to be modified by C_F. You would use C_F after using the intermediate or long buckling equation. You'll  hopefully see that more clearly in the fax

Let me know if you have additional questions.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.