Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 9:24 PM
Subject: RE: canopy footing

Steve,

It seems to me that the proportions of the cube should not prevent its use for this application.  Suppose that, by a trial-and-error solution, you found that an 18? wide by 5-ft deep footing did not have adequate capacity by the formulas of 1806.2.  You would have a couple of options for improving the capacity: try deepening the footing or try widening it; either seems to be a reasonable option.  At what width does the increase in width become unreasonable?  What if it took a width of 5 feet to develop the capacity?  That seems O.K. to me.  What if it took 6-ft?  Seem O.K. to me too, but I would probably try to figure out how to take advantage of the gravity-moment-of-stability provided by the weight of the massive footing.  It would take more concrete than a deeper footing, but I think it would comply with the Code.

However, if for some reason, the footing needed to be dug by hand, widening is may be a better option than deepening it; for example, if the OSHA rule is in effect that requires that an excavation that a worker enters must be shored if its depth exceeds 5-ft.

Nels Roselund, SE

South San Gabriel, CA

njineer(--nospam--at)att.net