PRACTICE: Direct Supervision

Title: PRACTICE: Direct Supervision

Beginning this year, the Texas Board of Professional Engineers has a new definition of "direct supervision" (what we old-timers used to know as "responsible charge.")

I thought I'd put it out here for discussion. I'd be interested to know what other states' rules are in this regard.

"Direct supervision - The control over and detailed professional knowledge of the work prepared under the engineer's supervision. The degree of control should be such that the engineer personally makes engineering decisions or personally reviews and approves proposed decisions prior to their implementation. The engineer must have control over the decisions either through physical presence or the use of communications devices."

-- Texas Engineering Practice Act, Rules Eff. 01/01/06, §131.81 (10) (Emphasis NOT in original)

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Senior Associate
mailto:bpolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com
WJE
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Engineers I Architects I Material Scientists
10235 West Little York, Suite 245
Houston, Texas 77040
P: 832-467-2177 F: 832-467-2178
http://www.wje.com

<<Polhemus, Bill.vcf>>

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Polhemus;Bill
FN:Polhemus, Bill
ORG:WJE;Houston
TEL;WORK;VOICE:x109
ADR;WORK:;Houston
LABEL;WORK:Houston
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com
REV:20060213T165851Z
END:VCARD