Support service [was Staad - Seismic analysis]

> From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>

> I can say that in my "past" life working for large A/E firms that had
> STAAD licenses that I experienced similar poor customer service and
> support from them.  I never had anyone "threaten" me, but certain had a

No experience with STAAD support.
However, VERY positive experiences with (not in any particular order):
1) RISA
2) Visual Analysis
3) MultiFrame (attempted to recover data from a corrupted file on a
large project, without fee or coercion!)
4) SODA
I'm still hoping that 3 and 4 get together one day.

> share of bugs, if bugs were my criteria for using or not using a computer
> program, I would likely just scrap using a computer and do everything by
> hand.  <grin>  Thus, I tend to base my decisions more on customer

Occasionally, I tell people that I debug software for a living. It seems
to have more meaning than telling them that I do structural design
(typically perceived as making drawings).

I encountered an engineer, recently, who was amazed at how much manual
work I had done on a project. He didn't realize how poorly the software
handled certain aspects.

Regards
Paul

--