Re: UBC 97 - SEISMIC DESIGN GRANULAR SILOS

Stefan,

Start with UBC Section 1634.  UBC Section 1634.1.6 (weight of drums compared to structure) will determine whether you use Fp for just the drums or V formulas for the combined drum and structure.  Then review UBC Section 1634.2 to determine whether your combined system is "similar to buildings"; this will lead you to the applicable "R" factor.  If the contents of your drums are considered hazardous then a typical importance factor using Fp would be 1.5 and 1.25 if using V.  See UBC Table 16-K item 2.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Stefan Reumers" <Reumers.S(--nospam--at)ellimetal.com>
02/15/2006 07:57 AM
Please respond to seaint