From: Stefan Reumers [mailto:Reumers.S(--nospam--at)ellimetal.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: UBC 97 - SEISMIC DESIGN GRANULAR SILOS

I have to design 24 aluminium silos 720 m3 each for the storage of granular Polyethyleen.

These silos are mounted on a 20 m high concrete structure.

Prescribed earthquake code is UBC '97.

Does Section 1632 apply or can I use Sections 1634 together with Section 1630 ?

This makes quite some difference in the total lateral force.

In addition, our customer asks for an importance factor of 1,50 as to my opinion granular storage silos would only require an importance factor of 1,0.

Any help would be much appreciated

Stefan Reumers

Engineering Silo Dept.

Ellimetal nv