Re: Pipe Support Detail

Rich-

I don't fully understand your installation but this might be useful

http://www.b-line.com/product/PDFLibrary/PipeHangers/nav_pipesupports.htm

which has the following sub-categories

Pipe Rollers & Roller Supports

     Introduction

     Adjustable Steel Yoke Pipe Roll

     Pipe Roll with Sockets

     Adjustable Roller Support

     Adjustable Double Roller Guide

     Roller Chair

     Roller Supports

     Pipe Rollers

     Steel Roller Stand

     Adjustable Roller Stand with Base Plate

     Roller with Steel Base Plate

     Long & Short Pattern Pipe

     Rollers Only

Take a look at them (PDF catalog sections) I think they'll give you a good idea how to proceed.

Your required load of 3500 lbf seems a little high (unless it is a combined total for each end?)

1. Is it better to have the supports sitting on a cross beam or hung from a cross beam?

depends on the situation; hung >>>> better stability   sitting>>>> higher capacity

both have different installation requirements

2.  What connection material would be recommended to allow the pipe to move longitudinally relative to the support frame?

roller support

How much movement do you need to accomodate?

Seems to me, you're responsible for the structure to handle the loads.
The piping guys should spec (or at least give guidance) on the pipe/structure interface?  Maybe the plumbing contractor has a preference?

cheers
Bob