From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Pipe Support Detail
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:45:16 -0600

I read some about this subject in the archives but couldn't find the answers to my questions. I have a situation where I need to support two 12" and one
14" diameter horizontal runs of water lines about 20 feet above the floor.
I am not able to hang them from the roof structure so I need to design a
frame to support them.  I will have anchor frames at each end and an
expansion loop in the middle.  Right now I am looking at the typical
intermediate frame supporting the pipes about 23 feet on center, not the
anchor frames. I was considering a Tee type frame or a vertical stick frame
with outriggers to support the pipe.  I prefer the Tee system because I
could more or less balance the loads across the top.  I was told if I could
stack the pipes vertically instead of horizontally side by side it would
help with the expansion loop. Using a stick type frame with outriggers puts
all the load eccentric to the column on the same side.

I think what will influence my final decision will be the type of connectors of the pipe to the frame. There is no insulation on the pipes. As I see it
I need some type of slide or roller connection to allow the pipe to expand
and not push the frame. I looked at bare steel friction sliding and decided
it was too great to fight with the frame.  I looked up a sliding type pipe
connection on the internet to set the pipe on the top cross member of the
Tee.  I was thinking that maybe if I hung them from the beam instead of
sitting on top I could have a swivel hanger type connection.  If I use one
of these though I would think I need a swivel at the pipe bracket and at the
beam hanger nut location.  I didn't see any like this.  As I see it, this
would also put a slight rotational moment around the support column.  I saw
there are roller type swivel connections.  This would take out the
horizontal component of the pure swivel.  Unfortunately there load carrying
capacity was lower than I need of about 3,500 pounds.

I'm looking for suggestions in two areas from engineers who have experience
in pipe support:

1.	Is it better to have the supports sitting on a cross beam or hung
form a cross beam?
2.	What connection material would be recommended to allow the pipe to
move longitudinally relative to the support frame?

Thanks for any insight.

Rich