Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Pipe Support Detail

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Check out this web site and see if it answers your questions

If you get into this regularly, you should get a copy of:
ANSI/MSS SP-69-2003 Pipe Hangers and Supports - Selection and Application
MSS SP-58-2002 Pipe Hangers and Supports - Materials, Design, and Manufacture

Harold Sprague

From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)>
Reply-To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Subject: Pipe Support Detail
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:45:16 -0600

I read some about this subject in the archives but couldn't find the answers to my questions. I have a situation where I need to support two 12" and one
14" diameter horizontal runs of water lines about 20 feet above the floor.
I am not able to hang them from the roof structure so I need to design a
frame to support them.  I will have anchor frames at each end and an
expansion loop in the middle.  Right now I am looking at the typical
intermediate frame supporting the pipes about 23 feet on center, not the
anchor frames. I was considering a Tee type frame or a vertical stick frame
with outriggers to support the pipe.  I prefer the Tee system because I
could more or less balance the loads across the top.  I was told if I could
stack the pipes vertically instead of horizontally side by side it would
help with the expansion loop. Using a stick type frame with outriggers puts
all the load eccentric to the column on the same side.

I think what will influence my final decision will be the type of connectors of the pipe to the frame. There is no insulation on the pipes. As I see it
I need some type of slide or roller connection to allow the pipe to expand
and not push the frame. I looked at bare steel friction sliding and decided
it was too great to fight with the frame.  I looked up a sliding type pipe
connection on the internet to set the pipe on the top cross member of the
Tee.  I was thinking that maybe if I hung them from the beam instead of
sitting on top I could have a swivel hanger type connection.  If I use one
of these though I would think I need a swivel at the pipe bracket and at the
beam hanger nut location.  I didn't see any like this.  As I see it, this
would also put a slight rotational moment around the support column.  I saw
there are roller type swivel connections.  This would take out the
horizontal component of the pure swivel.  Unfortunately there load carrying
capacity was lower than I need of about 3,500 pounds.

I'm looking for suggestions in two areas from engineers who have experience
in pipe support:

1.	Is it better to have the supports sitting on a cross beam or hung
form a cross beam?
2.	What connection material would be recommended to allow the pipe to
move longitudinally relative to the support frame?

Thanks for any insight.


Don?t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
* * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********