Re: Canadian code(s)

Scott,
The National Building Code is a model code which is
adopted by the provinces or modified by them. So if you
are concerned with a particular province, then try to
get that particular code.  Vancouver city has adopted
the BC code (based on NBC) and modified it further.
The codes specify loadings,life-safety requirements,etc.
However the technical parts in the codes such as steel
and concrete and wood refer to standards published by
the Canadian Standards Association which must be bought
separately unless you buy the particular trade association's
handbooks (stl-CISC,conc-CAC,wood-CWC, etc), which
include copies of the standards.  Hope this helps a bit.
Gary