Re: Canadian code(s)

> From: Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca>

>         There is a National Building Code of Canada.  It's published every
> five (5) years and the most recent is 1995.  Note that this is a model

That was the theory except for the last 10 years.

> building code and it must be adopted by a province to have force in that
> province.
>
>         The current Alberta Building Code, for instance,  was introduced in
> 1997 and is modeled on the 1995 National Building Code of Canada.  In fact,
> the structural portion is virtually identical word for word.

Ontario 1997 (with about 50 amendments and revisions - I don't want to
get started on a rant) is similar. Also a supplement binder.
Quebec Construction Code 2001.
National Farm Building Code 1995
BCBC 19??

>         If you do buy a Canadian code be sure to also buy the Structural
> Commentaries for that code.

The 2005 Canadian National Building Code (Name change, too) is out and
will be adopted in some provinces already or very shortly. There have
been some very significant structural changes, in form, not necessarily
reult. Seismic is definitely different - no place is a "zero" seismic
zone, anymore.

BC, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec have their own versions derived from the
National and usually take a couple years to catch up to the National.
Mostly administration variations. Do not assume the structural to remain
verbatim to the 2005 version.

Two binders for 2005 plus Commentaries (not published, yet ...). This is
REALLY going to stress my shelving once all the provinces publish. Those
CDs are looking very appealing except for inability to update the CD.

Also to be aware of:
Plumbing and Fire codes 1995, 2005
Model National Energy Code 1997 - Buildings or Houses (separate)

For national codes:
http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/codes/home_E.shtml

For Ontario 1997:
http://www.orderline.com/default.asp?category=105

Also, CSA standards instead of ACI, AISI, AISC, ASTM, etc.
www.csa.ca

Provincial workplace safety legislation comparable to OSHA:
http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/index.html
http://www.worksafebc.com/publications/how_to_work_with_the_wcb/
etc.

You're probably looking at about US$1000 ~ US$1500 invested in
publications to be "legal".

Regards
Paul

--