Re: PEng license

> From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>

> Another line of questions for our friends North of the border (OK,
> technically you are South of the border near me...aka Windsor)...
>
> Can you point me to a group/entity and/or said group's/entity's website
> where I could begin to find out what would be involved in getting licensed
> in Canada?  My two most likely provinces interest are Ontario and/or BC
> (Quebec ain't ever gonna happen if I have to speak French <grin>).

Links to all Provincial/Territiorial self-regulated professional
engineering associations:
http://www.ccpe.ca/e/ccpe_members_2.cfm
These are the legal entities established to license and oversee
engineering practice.

You can frequently get project specific temporary licensing (conditions
apply).

There is no reciprocity with any US States (except Texas), despite the
best intentions of FTA and NAFTA (its a turf protection issue - e.g.
residency requirements).

Insurance is typically mandatory with minimum limits. Check with your
insurance company if they will cover work in Canada.

Despite the licensing, Ontario now requires additional accreditation and
insurance if you are doing work related to a submission for building
permit (not limited to engineering or architecture). Minimum 2 exams.
(I'm trying to restrain my comments ...).

On the other hand, the requirements for professional responsibility tend
to be interpreted a little more liberally than seems to be the case in
most states. That does not mean that "plan stamping" is acceptable but
relative location is not an issue.

You REALLY should consider a license for Alberta. That's where the money
is, today. Somwhat like Texas attitudes. Daryl could comment on both
issues.

Regards
Paul

--