From: "Stefan Reumers" <Reumers.S(--nospam--at)ellimetal.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:18 AM
Subject: RE: UBC 97 - SEISMIC DESIGN GRANULAR SILOS

Thanks again Harold for your quick reply.

I'm aware of the shortcomings of the UBC-code, and I would very much
like to make the comparison between UBC and ASCE 7-05, but here's the
tricky part :

The silos will be installed somewhere in the Middle-East, and there is
no exact data available to make a spectral response analysis.
Is it possible to translate the zone 2B of the UBC'97 to a certain value
of the spectral response acceleration according ASCE ?

In addition, there's another problem :

The engineering of the silos is our responsibility while the supporting
structure will be designed by a Korean engineering company, so the exact
flexibility of this structure is still pending.
Of course it is possible to estimate the flexibility and make an
analysis of the combination of both silos and supporting structure.
To my opinion however, the calculations will be conservative if we
consider the supporting structure as having an infinite rigidity.

Regards

Stefan Reumers