RE: Fees - was Re: Masonry Storage Facilities - fees!

From: Paul Ransom [mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org]

>> Very often, you "go with the flow" and do the fix without expectation
of
>> compensation, just to get along. Even when you know your efforts
aren't
>> to blame.

>> It stinks, but there you are.

>The contractor isn't going with the flow. Neither do I. My time is my
>time. If I can't mount a convincing response to the contractor's
> rhetoric I don't deserve to be in that part of the business.

I absolutely agree with you. I am generalizing, but I've seen it so many
times, where the contractor ironically has the ear of the owner, where
the consultant doesn't.

It's natural to look to the contactor, who is actually realizing the
thing you're trying to have built, as the "expert," where the architect
or engineer--especially the poor, besotted, calculator-drivin'
engineer--is just "completely divorced from reality."

The fact that the contractor doesn't work for you, the owner, whereas
the engineer DOES, seems to be lost on them.