RE: Landscape Retaining Wall

Mix some cement with the outer 2 feet or so of the soil of the landscape bed (or whatever it is) and stack this soil against a temporary form.  When the cement sets, you will have a soil cement gravity retaining wall.  Not necessarily thin but you won't be able to tell it is there from the surrounding soil.  Can't grow anything in it, though.

From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:31 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Landscape Retaining Wall

Fellow engineers,

        I have a piddly little retaining wall about 12' long retaining up to 2' of soil.  For landscaping reasons it is desirable to have this as thin as possible.  One possible design is an L shaped bent steel plate about 3' high with a 2'  "footing" under the high side utilizing the weight of soil for stability.

        My only concern about this design is corrosion.  I have some thoughts on this. First is to use a low alloy steel which will perform well on the "air" side but I don't know about the "soil" side (I believe A242 might be such a steel).  Second is to provide a corrosion allowance and not worry about it.  Third is to use a protective coating such as asphalt foundation spray.  Fourth is to give up on the whole idea; tell my wife she can't have it (tactfully, of course); and look for a completely different solution.

        Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

H. Daryl Richardson