Re: Landscape Retaining Wall

HDR, all 10 responses to date have tried to talk you out of a steel-plate retaining wall.  I'll have to admit that ever since seeing the 4' tall rusty (I mean "weathering") steel retaining walls at the Getty Institute [www.getty.edu] in Los Angeles (it's amazing what $1000000000 will buy!) I've been dying to do one myself.  I don't know if they inserted the vertical steel plates--most of which are curved in plan--into the soil or into a concrete footing, but I suspect the latter, since cost was apparently irrelevant.

No, I don't know what type of steel they used, but you might call up Richard Meier, the architect, and ask him.  :)   I don't know who the engineer was.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA