Re: Landscape Retaining Wall

Another suggestion:

Give a 1H:12V batter on the front face of soil. Insert two horizontal rows of #3 bar (24" long) at horizontal spacing of 12". Keep the bottom row about 4" above base of wall and the next row about 12" above the base. Place a wire mesh on the exposed soil face and tie the #3 bars to the mesh. Place a 1/2 layer of cement mortar on it. If you want a soil look, paint the mortar surface.

Rajendran

Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca> wrote:
Fellow engineers,

        I have a piddly little retaining wall about 12' long retaining up to 2' of soil.  For landscaping reasons it is desirable to have this as thin as possible.  One possible design is an L shaped bent steel plate about 3' high with a 2'  "footing" under the high side utilizing the weight of soil for stability.

        My only concern about this design is corrosion.  I have some thoughts on this. First is to use a low alloy steel which will perform well on the "air" side but I don't know about the "soil" side (I believe A242 might be such a steel).  Second is to provide a corrosion allowance and not worry about it.  Third is to use a protective coating such as asphalt foundation spray.  Fourth is to give up on the whole idea; tell my wife she can't have it (tactfully, of course); and look for a completely different solution.

        Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

H. Daryl Richardson