Re: Horizontal Cold Joint in Concrete Beam

            Bill,

                        I just looked up the reference 11.18. Even in ACI 318-05, it is to the 4th Edition of the PCI Handbook, which is two editions old. You will do better these days to use Appendix D of ACI 318. I know that is everyone’s favorite part of 318, and from the most testing is only marginally better than the old PCI method which was basically developed on the back of a napkin. It is still in 318, not an old reference in the Commentary.

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer