From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 10:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel Truss Detailing

I’m detailing a steel box beam type truss from steel angles.  All framing are angles.  I was wondering if there are any reasons why I wouldn’t want to weld angle leg to leg and eliminate gusset type plates.  I essentially have 2 trusses in a vertical plane 5 feet apart.  The truss vertical depth is 6.5 feet.  The top and bottom chords are connected by a horizontal truss, hence it creates a box type structure out of 4 planes.

I have 6x6 angles for top and bottom chords and 3x3 angles for the webs.  I was considering overlapping and welding the web 3x3 to the inside of the vertical and horizontal legs of the 6x6 chords.  If the weld lengths are adequate are there any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

Thanks.

Rich