Timber Frame on Concrete Boxes

Subject: Timber Frame on Concrete Boxes

At a 2005 NBCC seminar over the weekend, the issue of how to deal with timber-framed structures on elevated concrete supports (walls, columns, whatever) raised its head.  Listening to the responses from the floor and the podium, it seemed to me that the issue was perhaps not clear (enough) cut.  Discussing this with local peers, we concurred that the concrete structure could/should (?) be regarded as very stiff compared with the timber structure, so that the timber frame thinks it's on the ground.

Fearing an, "oh s**t!" moment ...

a)    What do you do?

b)    Do you calculate the (relative) stiffnesses?

c)    How do you distribute the base shears up a timber structure horizontally tied (i.e. attached to the side of said box) to such an elevated concrete structure?  Are they the same as an isolated structure?

d)    Has anyone done any usable investigations of this/ese issues?

Thor Tandy P.Eng MIStructE
Victoria, BC
Canada
vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net