Re: Wire reinforcement in salbs on ground

Kevin,
I have gone through a few jobs with floor problems,
caused (thankfully) by others.  As Bill P said steel
fibres are expensive.  The wire mesh is next to useless
unless you stand over the workers.  It is impossible to
lift the mesh when the workers are standing on it and
then you don't know where it is in the slab.  One of
those afore-mentioned jobs had to be ripped out in part
--guess where the mesh was--right, still lying on the
sub-base.  Now I only specify heavy guage welded wire
fabric in mats or rebar and that the reinforcing has to
be blocked up and I send someone to watch them.  I also
prefer rebar at 14 to 16" o.c. so the workers can step
between the bars.  The w.w.fabric has to have planks put
down for access to the work. I also specify saw-cuts at
30 x the slab thickness in inches (from some conc
publication) with saw-cutting to 1/4 depth in approx 10-
12 hours after placing.  My 2 cents worth :-).
Gary