RE: Live load distribution for bridge girders

Scott,

The HS-20 Live Load is a LFD loading and the AASHTO Standard Specifications
for Highway Bridges applies.  S/3.75 is correct and I would use 30% impact
for preliminary design.  The spec contains a table of moments and shears for
various span lengths, you apply the distribution factor to those values.

You should consider using the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications with
the HL-93 Live Load.  Basically, it is the HS-20 live load combined
simultaneously with the lane load.  The live load distribution and the
impact are both handled a little bit differently than in the Standard
Specifications.

If you would like to contact me privately, I can give you more info on
either method as well as some other general bridge issues.

David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025