Re: Live load distribution for bridge girders

>>> smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu 2/23/2006 9:51:20 AM >>>

> So, the question is I am remembering correctly?  Is there anything
that I
> am missing?  And has any of the above changed?  Any other wise
thoughts or
> commments?

I am not keeping current with AASHTO code, at least since 2001, but
they were getting rid of S/over factor method in favor of a compelx
equation, at least for LRFD method. For your final design, you should
definitely open the latest AASHTO to see whether your class notes still
apply.

Just for the sake of comparision, there is a section somewhere in NDS
about how to distribute concentrated loads to adjacent joists-- can be
used to design joists supporting garages, which seems to be inline with
S/over factor method.

Suresh Acharya, S.E.